> It would be an
> additional great savings of time if we could have some kind of code or
> marking to indicate at least that the 7XX's were valid, as they are
> multitudinous on records for videorecordings-- I'd *love* not to have to
> keep checking, especially those names I vaguely recognize from other
> videos I processed not long ago.

The only problem with this is that authority records get changed all the
time, meaning that headings that were valid today may not be valid
tomorrow. Most NACO libraries have made a decision not to report BFM to
the utilities for headings on existing records in the utility databases
that need to be changed when a new authority record is created or an
existing one is changed (this is not required, the only requirement is
that LC be notified of BFM needed in its database).  And OCLC (and RLIN?)
does not flip headings automatically when a name or subject gets changed.
Admittedly, fewer changes are made to names than to subjects, but it means
that over time, records labelled as PCC will not necessarily be in synch
with the authority file.

This issue of headings on PCC records not being in synch with the
authority files has been raised a number of times at the BIBCO Operations
Committee, but the participants could not agree on a means to solve the
problem.  Most administrators will not support the additional step of
reporting BFM needed to the utilities.  What this means is that you can
only infer that the headings on a record labeled PCC (or some other symbol
to indicate the headings are established) were correct AT THE TIME the
record was coded PCC.

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *