At 04:13 PM 2/9/00 +0500, you wrote:
> > > additional great savings of time if we could have some kind of code or
> > > marking to indicate at least that the 7XX's were valid, as they are
> > > multitudinous on records for videorecordings-- I'd *love* not to have to
> > > keep checking, especially those names I vaguely recognize from other
> > > videos I processed not long ago.

>I heartily agree with Adam that coding fields in bibliographic records to
>indicate authorized heading forms is an exercise in frustration and
>ultimately useless.

Some may also remember the 039 field formerly part of the "USMARC"
bibliographic format.  A code in subfield $b indicated the amount of effort
put into the assignment of non-subject access points.  As I recall, the
whole thing sank under its own weight.

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University, 1935 Sheridan Rd., Evanston IL 60208
e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.