In my opinion, the only solution to this problem is authority records fully
linked to bib headings.  In other words, headings stored on bib records as
numeric values, and displayed and output from the authorized form in the
authority record.  Lots of vendors and librarians don't like this solution,
because it requires an authority record for EVERY heading (not necessarily
from the national file, but that's preferred, of course).  Anything short
of that is an exercise in futility.

Diane Hillmann
Cornell University