Dale:
        This is a concern, as it is, and has been for many years, LC policy for
the staff to use PCC copy, in fact when found to send the material
directly for shelflisting by passing the cataloger altogether.  The
benefit is considerable to us in terms of cost-savings, as well you can
imagine.  At one point we were able to determine that 40% of the
NCCP/BIBCO records were used by our staff.
        Therefore we will institute an effort to determine the cause of this
problem and rectify it as a priority matter.  Examples would be
particularly helpful in pursuing our study.  If you and others would
supply them directly to me at [log in to unmask] I'd be most grateful.
                                                John

Dale Swensen wrote:

> For the past year and half, I've been contributing BIBCO records for
> current imprints within my cataloging assignment whenever I don't find copy
> in RLIN, which has historically been our cataloging utility here at BYU.
> Occasionally, in the course of my work, I happen later to run upon some of
> these PCC records I've created previously and discover that LC has now
> cataloged the item as well.
>
> What's dismaying to me is that in none of the cases that I've run across to
> date has the LC record been derived from my PCC copy. On the contrary,
> they've all been original records. As I've examined the two records in each
> of these cases, I'm not able to detect any significant qualitative
> differences. However, it seems to me that this somewhat devalues the PCC
> record as a national standard, since libraries who subsequently come to
> RLIN for copy virtually always choose the LC record over my PCC record.
>
> I'm looking for help in understanding why this is happening. I should
> mention our library migrated to a new system about the time I began
> contributing, and since that time we have been unable to export our copy to
> either RLIN or OCLC, as we had done prior to that. For that reason, I've
> been creating my BIBCO contributions directly in the RLIN system rather
> than in the local system, as is generally our practice. The records are
> not, however, available in OCLC and I've wondered if that could be a
> contributing factor.
>
> Can anyone at LC (or elsewhere) explain to me why this occurs or what I can
> do to improve the situation? I does take additional effort for me to create
> these records as BIBCO contributions in RLIN and I'm wondering if it's
> worth my time to continue doing this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Dale Swensen
> 6442 Lee Library
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, UT  84602
> (801)378-4407

^^  John D. Byrum, Jr.                                    ^^
^^  Chief, Regional & Cooperative Cataloging Division     ^^
^^  Library of Congress LM-535                            ^^
^^  Washington, D.C.  20540-4380        LL                ^^
^^                                      LL    CCC         ^^
^^  (202) 707-6511                      LL  CC   CC       ^^
^^  FAX (202) 707-2824                  LLLLLLLL          ^^
^^                                          CC   CC       ^^
^^  [log in to unmask]                              CCC         ^^