        We've come across a Y2K question concerning series numbering, and
would like some input from other BIBCO libraries.  What is everyone doing
with series which include the last 2 digits of the year in the numbering,
e.g., 99/11, 99/12, 00/1 ... ?  In order to code a record as PCC, BIBCO
libraries are required to use the form in the authority record, but these
will then file "out of order" (before all the other items in the series),
and could/will, at some point in the future, result in duplicate numbers.
We know we can use a 4-digit year on non-PCC records if desired, but we'd
prefer to catalog the titles for BIBCO.  So, we have a two part question --

        1)  What, if anything, are BIBCO libraries doing with series already
in the AAAF when the numbering includes a 2-digit year designation --
accepting them as is and entering year 2000 publications as "00/#", or
adjusting the year to "2000/#"?

        2)  What are you doing about new series which use the year in the
number, particularly when the publisher includes only the last 2 digits of
the year -- entering them as is with "00/#," or adjusting the year to
"2000/#"?

Becky Uhl, Science Cataloger             [log in to unmask]
Arizona State University                      [log in to unmask]
(480)965-9802                                       fax (480)965-1043