Haavard

Thanks for the clarification on Sami, and the explanation. I made an
error in my notes, and I am grateful for the correction. My error and
your correction and explanation are summarised below:

Haavard wrote:

> My notes give the same result as the official document:
>
> smi - Sami languages (other) [changed from "Sami languages"]
> sme - Northern Sami [new entry]
> se  - Northern Sami [corrected from "Sami"]
>
> Any material that is already encoded according to 639-2:1998 will
> have to be changed by splitting "smi" into "smi" and "sme". It is
> correct that the majority of the items that use "the old smi" will
> need to be changed to "the new sme", and a smaller number of items
> will keep "the new smi". However, in the large picture we are
> talking about very few records, and I would think that the errors
> will be smaller this way. Making the oposite change would result in
> non-Northern Sami records being erroneously encoded as Northern Sami.

That provides the useful rationale for the need to change codes in
most cases.

It may be useful to warn libraries, via email lists (mounted by ISO,
IFLA and others) that they will need to check and make changes at the
appropriate time, otherwise the existing "smi" code will be wrong.

Rebecca and Glenn, as you deal with large bibliographic files which
may contain such Northern Sami records which would need to be recoded
manually, will you be able to provide guidance to users on which
codes should be allocated? This reallocation would not simply be
possible by a global search/replace operation as would exist for
changing "cam" to "khm" etc.

Alternatively, Haavard, may you and the National Library in Oslo, or
any of the Sami language agencies, be able to provide a list of Sami
records (with "sme" and "smi" properly allocated) for bibliographic
users of ISO 639-2 to check their holdings against?

Best regards, and thanks again

John Clews

--
John Clews, SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
tel: +44 1423 888 432; fax: + 44 1423 889061;

Committee Chair of  ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of CEN/TC304: Information and Communications
 Technologies: European Localization Requirements
Committee Member of TS/1: Terminology (UK national member body of
 ISO/TC37: Terminology)
Committee Member of the Foundation for Endangered Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2: Coded Character Sets