Ar 14:04 -0500 2000-03-03, scríobh Patton,Glenn:

>The statistics indicate that we would be almost completely unsuccessful.  Of
>the 73,164 records that are coded as Norwegian, only 25 contain the word
>'Bokmal' and 53 contain 'Nynorsk'.  These include records created by the
>University of Minnesota (and other academic institutions in that state).  An
>examination of a sample of recently created records for Norwegian titles
>published since 1998 shows many other records created by the same libraries
>that contain no reference to either Bokmal or Nynorsk.  Since most of the
>notes are quoted ones, I'm assuming that most U.S. catalogers are including
>information only when it is explicitly stated on the item.
>
>Based on this sample, I'm not optimistic about catalogers' ability to use
>the new codes accurately.

I don't understand. Were the cataloguers told to add a note regarding
Bokmål or Nynorsk? If not, most wouldn't bother.

Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire