Thank you Rebecca, for submitting the draft form for comment.
My own comments are below.

John Clews

General:

The form is OK, but could be improved. It is rather too long, and
should be simplified. Ideally, it should occupy only a single screen.

There are also too many hurdles shown, which make too much demands on
the submitter.

If there is a need to distinguish serious requests from frivolous
requests, this can be done by requiring information on status of the
submitter.

The form lacks any information on the status of the submitter,
and their relationship to the language concerned (do they use it?
have they any professional or academic role in relation to the
language for which a request is being submitted?)

A simpler form is suggested below.

A rationale for this, with comments on specific problems of the
request form currently proposed is included in the subsequent email
from me which will follow this one.

Here is a simpler version of Rebecca's suggested form. In my
submission below,

1.
        This represents a box to be filled in on the form;
2.

> <Picture: ISO 639-2 Registration Authority - Library of Congress>
>
> ISO 639 Registration Form

        Request for code for new language
        Name(s) of language

                "Are there any related language codes or languages
                listed in ISO 639? Please check the table at this
                stage."
                                         -------------------------
                                           Link to ISO 639 tables
                                         -------------------------

        the submitter could point out to them that what they want is
        already there, and could avoid superfluous requests being
        sent to the RA and the JAC, and reduce the workload on the RA
        and JAC. Thus an extra checking stage for the JAC could be
        changed to an extra checking stage for the submitter.

        There will be some duplicate requests anyway (for languages
        already present, as Chichewa/Nyanja has shown) but we don't
        want to add to the JAC workload unnecessarily.

        Relevant bibliographic references, if any
        (Documents about the language and in the language).
        Note: priority will be given to requests where this
        section is well documented,
        Script used for this language, if not in Latin script
        Additional information (e.g. Official status, and where;
        or _estimated_ number of speakers):
        Suggested code (optional)   2-letter code  3-letter code
                                    ISO 639-1      ISO 639-2
        Rationale for suggested code (e.g. reflects spelling of
        one or more names for the language)

                (Note that ISO 639-1 is a subset of ISO 639-2, and
                that there is no guarantee that these codes will be
                assigned):

        Status of submitter in relation to the language, e.g.
        academic/administrator/language teacher of that language;
        speaker of the language

> Return to:
>
> •ISO 639 Home Page •
>  ISO 639-1 Registration Authority---coming soon •
>  ISO 639-2 Registration Authority •
>  Library of Congress Standards •
>  Library of Congress Home Page

        <[log in to unmask]> list.

        Automated email replies to such requests could also ask about
        the status of submitter in relation to the language, e.g.
        academic/administrator/language teacher of that language;
        speaker of the language, etc.

> <Picture>Library of Congress
> Comments: [log in to unmask] (03/08/2000)

        relates to web-design issues, rather than to the
        ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee, and would not be included
        in the final request form.

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews, SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
tel: +44 1423 888 432; fax: + 44 1423 889061;

Committee Chair of  ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of CEN/TC304: Information and Communications
 Technologies: European Localization Requirements
Committee Member of TS/1: Terminology (UK national member body of
 ISO/TC37: Terminology)
Committee Member of the Foundation for Endangered Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2: Coded Character Sets