Dennis,

I have run into a similar problem, in that it fails to validate the
<?xml> tag that opens the document. but have just been ignoring it. I
don't know if it makes any difference if Wordperfect 9 fails to validate
it. the !DOCTYPE declaration is required for xml where the DTD is external
to the document, as is obviously the case with EAD.  I have decided to add
ours manually after saving the file as text.

I wonder if the DTD doesn't need to be modified in some way.  If I
remember correctly, there is a line of code that the Application
Guidelines say needs to be changed in the DTD in order for it to be xml
compliant, but I have never bothered to change it since, as you know, WP 9
parses the file not against the DTD itself but against a proprietary
template file. (If anyone knows a way to generate this file directly from
the DTD, I would be glad to hear it.  I created ours with a bit of a hack
from the .lgc files for wordperfect 8 that are posted on the EAD website,
so it is sgml compliant, but not (strictly speaking) xml compliant.)

Chris Prom
Visiting Assistant Archivist, University Archives
Ph. D. Candidate, Modern British History

217-333-0798 (afternoons)