Dale--

Although I am not a regular WordPerfect user (we use XMetaL and/or MS-Word
to produce our EAD documents), I have used it to the extent necessary to
create a couple finding aid templates that will form part of the "EAD
Cookbook"--soon to appear on the EAD Help Pages.

Although I never used version 8, my understanding is that the lgc files were
only necessary for sgml outputs, so they do not form a part of version 9,
which focuses on xml.  I think you only need lgc files if you are outputting
documents as sgml.

WordPerfect does seem to compile its proprietary version of the DTD directly
into the template as you suggest.  And it definitely has some
pecu7liarities.  The big one that I came up against--it may also be the
source of your parsing problem--is that it will not accept any text
appearing before the opening <ead> tag.  Therefore, XML declarations and
DOCTYPE declarations in either templates or XML documents return parsing
errors.  I have found no way around this problem; if you do, I would really
appreciate hearing about it.

Best wishes,
Dennis Meissner
Manuscripts Processing Manager