In message <[log in to unmask]> via [log in to unmask] Milicent Wewerka
writes:

> code (fwd)] If we do not accept a code based on "plattdeitsch" (or
> similar form), I would prefer a code based on "deitsch" rather than
> "sassich"; I think "ndd" would be acceptable. >

I think the evidence supplied by Reinhard "Ron" Hahn in Seattle, USA,
via Michael Everson seems to suggest that "Saxon" is the named entity
of greatest use, and NOT "German" as these languages/dialects are
near dying out in Germany, whereas they are in better shape in the
Netherlands.

Therefore, a code based on "saksysch" (Saxon) rather than "deutsch"
would be more acceptable.

Also the name "Saxon" seems to be the correct word, the paragraph
below indicates the limitations of the connotation German, and those
limitations help rather than hinder the JAC. Ron Hahn says:

> >We are talking about the same language, the direct
> >descendant of Old Saxon which used to call itself "saksysch" (Saxon)
> >etc.  The "Low German" thing is a result of Germanization attempts on
> >German-administered soil, i.e., declaring that it is a part of German
> >and thus denying its separate language status and the special
> >considerations afforded an official language.  However, also a minority
> >of German linguists refer to it as "Low Saxon" as a technical term (the
> >Saxon language of the Lowlands or Low Countries, as opposed to "Saxon,"
> >the German dialects of the state of Saxony).  "Low Saxon" is the proper
> >name for the dialects of the same language used on the Netherlands side
> >of the border, i.e., in the eastern parts of the Netherlands.  It is
> >the catch-all name for dialects that are usually named after their
> >regions; e.g., "Tweants" of Twente, "Dreants" of Drente,
> >"Stellingwarfs" of the Stellingwerven, etc.  Speakers on the
> >Netherlands side are quite aware of their dialects belonging to the
> >same language with the dialects in Northern Germany, though many will
> >refer to the latter as "Low German" to distinguish them as
> >German-dominated and -influenced dialects.

Obviously it is different to Saxon dialects spoken in Saxony,
Germany, but it has the same long-ago roots as Anglo-Saxon, as used
in parts of the British Isles in times past, from when Saxons moved
westwards in Europe, and there is no suggestion that Anglo-Saxon is
particularly related to German dialects spoken in Saxony.

Michael Everson also makes valid points asking about how many
German(ic) language entities should be coded.

Christian Galinski offered to make soundings, and to be the contact
point for diffrerent Germanic languages used in Germany and Austria.
Christian, can you report on anything as yet in this regard?

I look forward to seeing what Christian has received so far.

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews, SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
tel: +44 1423 888 432; fax: + 44 1423 889061;

Committee Chair of  ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of CEN/TC304: Information and Communications
 Technologies: European Localization Requirements
Committee Member of TS/1: Terminology (UK national member body of
 ISO/TC37: Terminology)
Committee Member of the Foundation for Endangered Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2: Coded Character Sets