Michael is correct concerning the intention of the parent attribute on
the <container>: it was intended to point to a <container> "parent" to
save having to repeat the box number over and over.

<did>
<container id="b1" type="box>1</container>
<container parent="b1" type="folder">1-2</container>
</did>

<did>
<container parent="b1" type="folder">18</container>
</did>

etc.

I also think Michael's suggested solution elegantly solves the problem
originally raised, which was pairing a top-level <unitid> with each
<container type="folder"> in the output.

Daniel