Won't this insert the DOCTYPE declaration before the XML declaration which
SX does supply?  If so, you would end up with the following result where the
first two statements in the document are in reverse of the correct order.

<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "-//Society of American Archivists//DTD ead.dtd
(Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 1.0)//EN" "ead.dtd">
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ead>......

If so, wouldn't you'd still have to edit the file anyway although it would
be a simple cut and paste action.

Actually the following would be another option.

> echo "<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE ..." > file.xml
> SX ... >> file.xml

I think that SP would then produce the following-

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "-//Society of American Archivists//DTD ead.dtd
(Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 1.0)//EN" "ead.dtd">
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ead>......

At least one parser I tried this with treats the second XML declaration as a
simple XML processing instruction, i.e., it ignores it.   Perhaps there
might be some future unexpected side-effects from doing this but it seems a
possible solution to Dale's problem.  Thanks Alvin.

Michael

Michael J. Fox
Acting Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN 55102-2409
651-296-2150  (phone)