The PARENT attribute on <container> has the declared value IDREF, which
means that you need to reference an id on a "parent" element. The following
will work:

<unitid id="mss97">Mss 97</unitid>

<container parent="mss97" type="folder">Folder 34</container>

If you are using XSL to generate output, you would then easily be able to
provide the "Mss 97" prefixed to each container text, for example, output
might be

Mss 97: Folder 34.

I do not have time to show you the XSL at the moment, but it should not be
too difficult to figure out.

Daniel

At 04:53 PM 8/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>A question, I have been reading the EAD Application Guidelines and Tag
>Library, and with regard to the parent attribute the emphasis on usage seems
>to be for a box number.
>
>Well, we do not emphasis box numbers very much.  Collections here are
>assigned what we call a manuscripts number and the collections are housed on
>shelves in manuscript number order.  So that when it comes to pulling items
>and having researchers request items.  The most important data for staff is
>the collection number and folder number.
>
>We currently encoded the collection number as the <unitid>.
>
>If we would want as page 90 in the application guide lines suggestion to be
>able to return to the reader not only a list of collection titles, but the
>container location and specific component description within that
>collection.  For us that would be the collection number and folder number.
>Mss 97 folder 34.
>
>To finally get to my question, would it be wrong to place our collection
>number as a parent attribute in the folder <container> element?
>
><container parent="Mss 97" type="folder"> Folder 34</container>

Daniel V. Pitti         Project Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
Alderman Library        University of Virginia  Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Phone: 804 924-6594     Fax: 804 982-2363       Email: [log in to unmask]
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu