Daniel provides a clear example of how the encoding might work with the
PARENT attribute.   However, I believe that the original example, if I
correctly understand it, is a misapplication of the attribute as defined in
the Tag Library.   Moreover, it my assumptions are correct, it is also
unnecessary to achieve the effect you wish.

First, let me state my assumptions about your example.   Mss 97 is the
identification of the collection as a whole of which the contents of folder
40 is one part.   You will probably have added Mss97 in a unitid element in
the collection level <did>.   For some containers, but not necessarily all,
you wish to display the collection id number and the folder number
explicitly along with the description of the folder's contents.   Do I have
that correct?

When you reread the definition of the PARENT attribute in the Tag Library,
you will see that the situation described above is not the one envisioned
for the use of this attribute.  Instead, it would be applied, for example,
when a particular component contains only the explicit container
identification for a folder and not for the box in which that folder is
housed and you need to point to a container element in another component
that contains the identification/number of that box.

Actually, if all you wish to do is to insert the collection's id number
along with the folder number in the description of components ( container
list), you can do so with an XSL stylesheet without having to actually do
any of this additional markup.

While the exact XSL syntax of the template rule that would accomplish this
might be structured in many different ways, it is a relatively simple matter
to write a rule that would say in effect, whenever a container element is
before the contents of the container element.

Michael

Michael J. Fox
Acting Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN 55102-2409
651-296-2150  (phone)