Mr. Bady: You might receive other, more technical, responses to your inquiry,
but I can at least tell you that EAD is not designed to encode audio-visual
digital
formats. The EAD DTD does provide options for describing AV materials and
creating links to them - via the DAO tag - (short for Digital Archival
Object) -
or the more robust DAOGRP tag.

If you look at the EAD HELP PAGES:
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/ead/
especially at the EAD Sites Annotated page:
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/ead/sitesann.html
and the sub-directory of Delivery Methods:
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/ead/sitesann-5.html
you will see a number of sites that deliver native SGML,
including Yale:
http://webtext.library.yale.edu/

As luck would have it, we just put up our first two
finding aids which link to motion picture files.
In the Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas Collection:
SGML version: http://webtext.library.yale.edu/sgmldf/beinecke.steincol.sgm
HTML version:
http://webtext.library.yale.edu/sgml2html/beinecke.steincol.sgm.html
you will find a home movie (rather blurry) of Stein. (Search for "movie")
And in the Richard Wright Papers:
SGML version: http://webtext.library.yale.edu/sgmldf/beinecke.wright.sgm
HTML version:
http://webtext.library.yale.edu/sgml2html/beinecke.wright.sgm.html
you can have a look at a very interesting group of screen tests Wright did
for the film
version of his novel, "Native Son" - complete with sound. (Search for
"screen test")
The films are encoded in RealPlayer format.

However, I would ask for other examples from readers of this list,
as our implementation of links to digital archival objects is not strictly
by-the-rules.
First, I used <extptr> for the link, instead of <dao> - and, due to some
difficulties in getting our
system to launch RealPlayer, I cheated in my ENTITY declaration
by noting that the RealPlayer files are of the type "HTML" -
which means that Netscape or IE will launch - and they will bear
the burden of parsing the file type.
We plan to clean things up, but we wanted to get some
AV examples up for perusal quickly - hence our work-around.

I hope this at least provides some info. to start with.

Timothy Young
Archivist
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University
New Haven, CT  06520
(203) 432-8131
Webmaster, EAD HELP PAGES,
EAD RoundTable, Society of American Archivists