Von: Håvard Hjulstad [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Gesendet am: 11 September 2000 10:30
An: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Christian Galinski;
'Infoterm, Mag. Marta Alonso'; ISO 639
Cc: Håvard Hjulstad
Betreff: (iso639.181) RE: AW: 1. Zhuang; 2. Transliteration (was: za /
zha : English and French names)

Dear John, Dear Christian,

This is a very interesting exchange concerning
transcription/transliteration. However, I wish to draw the focus back on the
issue that I raised. It was really not about transcription, but rather about
the English and French name of one particular language. We do obviously want
to know the proper indigenous name to assess which English and French names
are most appropriate. But it may be reason to add other name forms that are
frequently found in the literature. Remember: The English and French names
(also) serve as a tool to retrieve the information; we don't standardize
English and French names here.

As far as the indigenous name is concerned, I would think that the official
romanization system should be used. So that issue is settled.

I made a quick search on AltaVista:

"zhuang" returned 13980 English documents and 149 French documents.
"chwang" returned 872 English documents and 4 French documents.
"chuang" returned 31406 English documents and 148 French documents.

However, I have not at all assessed how many of these relate to the language
in question, and how many are "noise".

It would from this seem not unlikely that both "zhuang" and "chuang" could
be candidates for inclusion as English and French names; while the former
will be the only indigenous name.

Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad           mailto:[log in to unmask]
  Rådet for teknisk terminologi
  (Norwegian Council for Technical Terminology)
  Postboks 41 Blindern
  NO-0313  Oslo, Norway
  (besøksadresse/visiting address: Forskningsveien 3 B)
  tel: +47-23198040   faks: +47-23198041
  http://www.rtt.org/