I have never come across Gikuyu, only Kikuyu, except in ISO 639
standards or draft standards.

I recommend that ONLY Kikuyu be used as the language name.

John Clews

In message <[log in to unmask]> =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5vard_Hjulstad?= writes:
> Allow me to suggest (1) that we allow three weeks (until 2000-09-27) to
> discuss this issue on either of the lists, (2) that I propose to the JAC
> Chair a wording for the voting, and (3) that formal voting be conducted o> n
> the JACVOTE list starting in the first half of October.
>
> The issue in question was included in the document that I circulated for
> comments.
>
> Identifiers: ki / kik
>
> English names in ISO/DIS 639-1: Kikuyu; Gikuyu
> English name in ISO 639-2: Kikuyu
> (French name in both parts: kikuyu)
>
> My proposal was to include the following English names: Kikuyu; Gikuyu
>
> One comment was received to the effect that both English names should be
> included (in fact not contradicting my proposal). There may be doubt,
> however, and I wish to circulate once more to be on the safe side.
>
> I maintain my origian proposal.
>
> Best regards,
> Håvard Hjulstad

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews, SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
tel: +44 1423 888 432; fax: + 44 1423 889061;

Committee Chair of  ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of the Foundation for Endangered Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37: Terminology)