Dear Haavard

In message  <[log in to unmask]>
you wrote via [log in to unmask]:

> Dear Mr Cadorini,...

> At the meeting of JAC in February 2000, the language was proposed for
> inclusion in ISO 639-1 (the alpha-2 code). This proposal was rejected
> by the JAC.
>
> As you will see, the language is in fact included in ISO 639, but only in
> the alpha-3 code. Since it has been proposed for the alpha-2 code, and
> subsequently rejected, it will not be up for inclusion UNLESS new
> documentation and arguments are supplied.

1. Formal issues

Please could you specify what documentation and arguments are
required for additions to ISO 639, or to ISO FDIS 639-1?

That wasn't so clear as for additions to ISO 639-2. I know that
you do say later in your email:

> Information about the extent of the use of the language and its
> formal status would be much needed. Also information about the extent
> of lexicographical and terminological work in the language.

but I couldn't find as specific information in the documentation of
the ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee itself.

You also wrote:

> You may be satisfied with the alpha-3 identifier alone ("fur") for
> Friulian. In that case the issue is closed. You may also wish to
> make a formal proposal to add an alpha-2 identifier ("fu" is
> currently available). The proposal should be addressed to the ISO 639
> Joint Advisory Committee and sent to the chairman, Ms Rebecca
> Guenther at the Library of Congress (mailto:[log in to unmask]).

In formal terms, shouldn't it (lso/as well as/instead of) be sent to
you as ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1 convenor, and/or to Christian Galinski as
ISO 639 Maintenance Agency head (as opposed to Rebecca as
ISO 639-2 Maintenance Agency head?

In formal terms 2-letter codes are basically the province of
ISO/TC37, ISO/TC37/SC2 and ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1, and the ISO 639
Maintenance Agency, and its not clear how much ISO/TC37, ISO/TC37/SC2
and ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1 have delegated to the ISO 639 Joint Advisory
Committee.

The original letter was passed on to Infoterm and the
Österreichisches Normungsinstitut (ON) in Vienna, and thence to you.

These are just formal issues, but they need to be clarified for the
record, as the relations betwen the various bodies remain a little
cloudy at times.

2. Technical issues

On the issue of a requirement for a 2-letter code for Friulian, the
letter from Dr. Giorgio Cadorini on behalf of the Osservatori
Regjonal de Lenghe e de Culture Furlanis (OLF) in Italy, _IN_
Friulian, does indicate that there seems to be a good case for having
a 2-letter code.

Can you remind me what the reasons were for its rejection at the
February 2000 meeting of the ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee?

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews, SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
tel: +44 1423 888 432; fax: + 44 1423 889061;

Committee Chair of  ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of the Foundation for Endangered Languages;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37: Terminology);
Representative   of CEN/TC304: Information and Communications
 Technologies: European Localization Requirements, in relation to
 Language Coding issues.