Carolyn,

Actually, it's not magic.   Perhaps an explanation of the logic behind this
part of the stylesheet will clarify your question for other users of the
Cookbook and provide an answer to your question.   The EAD Cookbook
stylsheets support a number of options for recording container information.
The Texas State Archives uses one of them- including only box numbers.

The stylesheets do two things with respect to this container information.
One is to control whether the value in the markup, i.e., the box number
itself, displays.  The second is to automatically supply a column heading,
in this case the word "Box."    The two events are related.

Where only box numbers are given, any given box number does not appear on
the page/screen if it has been displayed already within the current <c01>.
Technically speaking, what is actually happening is that the stylesheet
displays the content of the <container> element whenever a new value appears
in <container type="box">.    When that happens, the stylesheet also
automatically inserts the heading "Box".   There are two situations where
this might occur.   One was anticipated in the stylesheet; the other was not
and accounts for Carolyn's display problems.  The first scenario is where a
box number actually has changed from component to component and so is
displayed along with a new column label.   The other scenario is the one
that is occurring here.  If one does not include anything in the <container>
element, then that value- null- is also one that has not previously appeared
and so will display.  (At least the first time within a given <c01>.)
Well, it will display theoretically since obviously no text will show up at
that point in the document because there is no text to see.  But as an
unintended side effect, the accompanying display label will appear.

There are two cures for this problem.   If Carolyn repeats the container
value 2000/999-999 for the third <c02>, its value and the column label will
not appear for the reason described above.   But I sense an additional
concern here in that this component does not really describe any content but
is simply a filing element.   In that case, it would be appropriate and
effective simply to  delete the <container> element altogether.  The display
label should then no longer appear.

Actually there is a third solution which would be to delete from the
stylesheet altogether the feature that automatically inserts the column
headings and require that the encoder explicitly insert <thead>s in the
document wherever such headings are desired on output.

The resolution of questions like these bring me back to my original
declaration that the stylesheets are still in beta form and will be subject
to further revision as user feedback like this identifies.   I would be
interested in any thoughts the readers of the list might have on this
subject (or any related one).

Michael

Michael J. Fox
Acting Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN 55102-2409
651-296-2150  (phone)