Kim,

This definitely would be an appropriate use for <origination>.  Your
encoding might look like this:

<coX level="item">
<did>
<origination>Winebiddle, Philip</origination>
<unittitle>Lease to Thomas...Pa.,
<unitdate>1831 Apr. 1</unitdate>
</unittitle>
</did>
</coX>

You might even add <persname> in <origination> if it is important to
specify the source or some other attribute of the name.

Kris

At 01:32 PM 10/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello -
>
>I am encoding finding aids for the History Center of Western
>Pennsylvania and have run across a series of items which I
>am having trouble deciding how to encode.  They are a series
>of legal documents, mainly deeds from the 1700s and 1800s.
>
>An example of the text is:
>
>Winebiddle, Philip.
>Lease to Thomas Smithson for house on Second Street, Pittsburgh, Pa.,
>         1831 Apr. 1
>

>I am putting each of these into a component with level="item".  It
>seems obvious to put the "Lease...Pa." into a <unittitle> with
>the date enclosed within a <unitdate>.  What I'm having trouble
>with is the creator of the deed.  It seems important to set
>off the creator (issuer?) of the document from the document itself.
>One thought was to put the person into an <origination> within the <did>,
>but not within the <unittitle>.  But I'm not sure whether this is a
>proper use of <origination>.
>
>Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.
>

>Kim Tryka
>EAD Partnership Student
>Digital Research Library
>University of Pittsburgh

Kris Kiesling
Chair, SAA EAD Working Group
Chair, SAA Standards Committee
Head, Department of Manuscripts and Archives
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX  78713-7219
Voice:  (512) 232-4614