Kim,

This definitely would be an appropriate use for <origination>.  Your encoding might look like this:

<coX level="item">
<did>
<origination>Winebiddle, Philip</origination>
<unittitle>Lease to Thomas...Pa.,
<unitdate>1831 Apr. 1</unitdate>
</unittitle>
</did>
</coX>

You might even add <persname> in <origination> if it is important to specify the source or some other attribute of the name.

Kris