> I have a question to pose to this group. At Berkeley, members of
> encoding teams at the Library and Art Museum have been chatting
> recently about how to best encode extended ASCII characters in EAD
> finding aids. It appears there are two main options, and I'd be very
> interested to hear opinions from you all, or projects in which you
> are tackling this problem. The options appear to be:

My answer would be Unicode on two(OK, or more) counts.
1. Its the basis of XML
2. Its code points are unique (thats what its all about), hence
   reduces ambiguity
3. I can transform from Unicode to 'lesser' encodings, using a
   simple XSLT transform with the output encoding set to, say one
of the iso 8859 forms.
4. The number of tools supporting xml is growing rapidly, hence
support for Unicode will grow with it.

HTH DaveP