From: "Automatic digest processor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Recipients of AMFELLOWS digests" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 7:00 PM
Subject: AMFELLOWS Digest - 17 Nov 2000 to 21 Nov 2000 (#2000-82)

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Inservice ideas (3)
>   2. Library and Archival Exhibits on the Web
>   3. Electoral College Controversy of 1876-77
>   4. Next Week's Presentation

> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:21:11 -0500
> From:    Gigi Lincoln <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Inservice ideas
>
> This message is being sent out on the listserv with the hope that recent
> American Memory Fellows and past fellows from 1997-1999 will have some
ideas
> to share with us.
>
> Scott Durham and I will have an excellent opportunity to work on American
> Memory with fellow Lakeview High School (Battle Creek, MI) teachers in
> January. We have been approved to lead a workshop on Martin Luther King
Day
> [...]
> background. Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins collaborated on a recent book,
> Understanding by Design (ISBN: 0-87120-313-8). An ERIC abstract offers the
> following summary of Understanding by Design:
>
> "This book explores ways to design courses and units to emphasize
> understanding and uncoverage rather than coverage, offering practical
> solutions for teacher-designers. It focuses on a different use for
> performance assessment, concluding that performance is the key to
assessing
> understanding. The book analyzes the logic of backward design as an
> alternative to coverage and activity-oriented plans. Designing for
> understanding begins with what teachers want students to be able to do and
> proceeds to the evidence they will accept to prove that students have
> learned it. Only then does it turn to how students will learn it. Along
the
> way, teachers must be clear about how they want students to understand and
> what they mean by understanding. The book proposes a multifaceted
approach,
> with the six facets of understanding (explanation, interpretation,
> application, perspective, empathy, and self-knowledge). The facets combine
> with backward design to provide a practical framework for designing
> curriculum, assessment, and instruction. After an introduction, there are
11
> chapters: (1) What Is Backward Design? (2) What Is a Matter of
> Understanding? (3) Understanding Understanding, (4) The Six Facets of
> Understanding, (5) Thinking Like an Assessor, (6) How Is Understanding
> Assessed in Light of the Six Facets? (7) What Is Uncoverage? (8) What the
> Facets Imply for Unit Design, (9) Implications for Organizing Curriculum,
> (10) Implications for Teaching, and (11) Putting it All Together: A Design
> Template."
>
> If you have any ideas to share with us and with other fellows, please send
> response to the listserv. We look forward to planning this inservice and
> hearing from you.
>
> Thanks very much and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
>
> Gigi Lincoln

> ___
>
> Margaret Lincoln
> Lakeview HS Library
> 300 South 28th Street
> Battle Creek, MI 49015
> (tel) 616-565-3730
> (fax) 616-565-3738
>
> http://remc12.k12.mi.us/lhslib
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:13:27 -0800
> From:    Gail Desler <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Inservice ideas
>
> Gigi,
> Thank you for the information on the Grant Wiggins book.  I'm ordering a
copy
> today.  I'm also looking forward to seeing what ideas other AM fellows
have for
> using the loc collections for a unit on Martin Luther King.  At present
I'm
> developing a lesson for middle school students to go with the novel The
Watsons Go

header -----------------------
> [...]
send a
> > response to the listserv. We look forward to planning this inservice and
> > hearing from you.
> >
> > Thanks very much and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
> >
> > Gigi Lincoln

> > ___
> >
> > Margaret Lincoln
> > Lakeview HS Library
> > 300 South 28th Street
> > Battle Creek, MI 49015
> > (tel) 616-565-3730
> > (fax) 616-565-3738
> >
> > http://remc12.k12.mi.us/lhslib
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:11:47 -0500
> From:    "Elizabeth L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Library and Archival Exhibits on the Web
>
> A tip of the hat to Linda White for pointing this out!
>
> This website is a "finder" tool, to help you find exhibits on the web.
It's hosted by the Smithsonian Institution Libraries.

<http://www.sil.si.edu/SILPublications/Online-Exhibitions/online-exhibitions
-intro.htm>

> Here's a description taken from the site:
>
>     This site features links to online exhibitions that have
>     been created by libraries, archives, and historical
>     societies, as well as to museum online exhibitions with
>     a significant focus on library and archival materials.
>
>     These online exhibitions draw their inspiration and
>     content primarily from library and archival materials,
>     including, for example: printed books, book illustrations,
>     manuscripts, photographs, printed ephemera, posters,
>     archival audio and video recordings, artist's books, and
>     the book arts (engraving, marbling, and bookbinding, etc.).
>
>     The online exhibitions in this guide are listed alphabetically
>     by title. A keyword search engine for this site is currently
>     under development, to facilitate access to individual
>     exhibitions by subject, geographic location, and institution.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:22:08 -0500
> From:    "Elizabeth L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Electoral College Controversy of 1876-77
>
> If today's Electoral College news isn't enough, the free HarpWeek site
<http://www.harpweek.com/> now offers a feature about another such
controversy -- the one from the Hayes - Tilden election of 1876.

> <http://elections.harpweek.com/controversy.htm>
>
> Description from the site:
>
>    HarpWeek has created this Website, primarily from the
>    pages of Harper and the general public with the historic
>    events of the Electoral College controversy of 1876-1877.
>    The organization of the site allows users to follow events
>    day by day, to acquire a more in-depth understanding by
>    reading the overview, and to gain insight into the press
>    period cartoons (most by Thomas Nast), along with
>    corresponding explanations of their historical meaning.
>
> Enjoy!
> BB
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:00:06 -0500
> From:    Martha King <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Next Week's Presentation
>
> I'm coming to see your program next Wednesday.  Actually, it looks as if
I'm
> supposed to say something from the MAME 12 flyer.  Kelli Loomis, my
partner, is
> going to join me.  We'll probably just be there as some who went before
you.  Is
> your lesson up and online?  Ours still isn't to our great consternation.
Judy
> keeps promising that it's almost there.  Is there any particular way we
could help
> you?  I am planning to run off the part about how to become a Fellow, if
that's
> o.k. with you so that participants could take a shot at it.  I'm still not
sure
> why/how we got chosen!
> See you next Wednesday.
> Marty
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:23:21 -0500
> From:    Kathy Isaacs <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Inservice ideas
>
> I'm a huge fan of Understanding by Design which Ginger Attarian and I used
to design
> our unit at the workshop two summers ago, and which we convinced our whole
faculty to
> read and discuss last summer.  The twin ideas of guiding questions and
backward design
> have become part of our everyday vocabulary.  What do we want students (or
new
> teachers, or participants in our workshop, or whatever) to know and be
able to do at
> the end of the experience, course, term etc.  is a question asked
regularly.
> I would be very interested to see what you come up with in a unit for The
Watsons as
> I've become enamored of making LOC connections with historical fiction.
Do let us