Media Services  No. 01-01

Date: January 5, 2001

Subject: Media products survey

Over the next few years, NLS plans to offer the network
three media products designed to enhance your library's
public awareness efforts.  These include

the Take a Talking Book multimedia outreach campaign
targeting seniors,

a series of six public service announcements for television
and radio, and

a new series of six posters that will be released beginning
in 2002.

We need your response to the attached survey in order to
accommodate your library's needs.  Please fax (202) 707-0712
or mail this survey to the Publications and Media Section,
NLS, Attention Jane Caulton, by January 31, 2001.

Thank you for your assistance and cooperation.

For more information contact:
Robert E. Fistick
Head
Publications and Media Section

Enclosure: envelope

                         Media Products Survey

Library name

City, State, ZIP

Librarian

__Take a Talking Book Outreach Campaign for Seniors__

To date two-thirds of the network libraries have conducted
the Take a Talking Book outreach campaign.  These libraries
have distributed customized posters and brochures,
distributed print and broadcast public service announcements
to their local media, and held kick-off events with NLS
representatives, local celebrities, and politicians.  Many
have reported a 10 percent increase in senior patrons and
boosted their public recognition as a result of their
efforts.

NLS is now offering the Take a Talking Book campaign to the
network on a first-come, first-served basis.  Though
previous participants should consider and may request the
campaign,  priority will be given to libraries that have not
yet conducted the program.  The multimedia campaign includes
posters, print and broadcast public service announcements,
and brochures that can be customized with your library
address.  To help us plan adequately, please indicate the
semester your library is interested in conducting the Take a
Talking Book campaign.  Please indicate a first (1) and
second (2) choice.

____________ May-October 2001
____________ November 2001-April 2002
____________ May-October 2002
____________ November 2002-April 2003
____________ May-October 2003
____________ November 2003-April 2004
____________ May-October 2004
____________ November 2004-April 2005
____________ May-October 2005
____________ November 2005-April 2006

We will confirm your
involvement by March 2001.

__Public Service Announcements__

The set of six different public service announcements (PSAs)
is useful for engaging the broadcast media in your public
awareness efforts. All feature NLS patrons, including stage
and screen star Rita Moreno. Available on audio cassette for
radio broadcast and on VHS for television broadcast, the
PSAs are recorded in English and in Spanish in 60-, 30-, and
15-second versions.  Please indicate the semester your
library is interested in using the PSAs.  Please indicate a
first (1) and second (2) choice.

____________ May-October 2001
____________ November 2001-April 2002
____________ May-October 2002
____________ November 2002-April 2003
____________ May-October 2003
____________ November 2003-April 2004
____________ May-October 2004
____________ November 2004-April 2005
____________ May-October 2005
____________ November 2005-April 2006

We will confirm your
involvement by March 2001.

__New Poster Series__

NLS is ready to develop a new set of posters to help you
with your outreach goals.  Traditionally the series targets
audiences that have been identified as important by network
libraries or that have been overlooked in the past.  The
last group targeted children (My Books Talk and I Can Read
It Myself), senior men (At Home with Talking Books), and
young people with disabilities (My Books Adapt to Me), and
highlighted the postal delivery feature of our service (A
Library at My Door).  Your input helped set the direction of
that series, and we would like your help in planning the
next one.  Please answer the following questions.

1.     What audience(s) would you like to see represented
       in our posters?

a.
_____________

b.
_____________

c.
_____________

2.     Which of the themes that we have covered would you
like to see represented with a new photograph?  (Check all
that apply).

  ____ At Home with Talking Books (senior man with
cassette)
  ____ Books Are Fun for Everyone (children in the library)
  ____ I Can Read It Myself (boy reading braille)
  ____ La Lectura Es para Todos (Reading Is for Everyone;
man with boy)
  ____ A Library at My Door (postman)
  ____ My Books Adapt to Me (young man with disability)
  ____ My Books Talk (boy with cassette)
  ____ Reading Takes You Everywhere  (woman on the bus)
  ____ Reading Is for Everyone (man with boy)
  ____ Rx: One Talking Book a Day (senior woman with
disability)
  ____ Talking Books Are Good Therapy (temporary user)
  ____ There's More Than One Way to Read Music (braille
music)
  ____ There's More Than One Way to Read a Book (multiple
formats)
  ____ That All May Read (print/braille)
  ____ That All May Read (girl with cassette)

3.     If you have an idea for a poster image, please
describe it.  You may also send a drawing or photo of your
idea (it will not be returned).

a.

b.

c.

Please fax (202) 707-9279 or mail this survey to the