Bravo, Ruta--I think hearing this from the COOP team leader will
certainly reinforce the fact that we try to give outside libraries the
best possible service in a timely manner, and using the SACO Web form
is something which those libraries can control!

Nancy
>>> Ruta M Penkiunas <[log in to unmask]> 01/30 11:20 AM >>>
PCC Participants:

   It has been great to see so many responses, suggestions, and
ideas
expressed in your emails.  Do bear in mind that this is a "Utilities
Wish List", with the emphasis on "WISH".  It is not envisioned that
PCC catalogers would have direct access to the LC authority file for
input of subject headings. We do appreciate expressing your desires
have a mechanism in the utilities that would parallel the NACO
stream,
keeping in mind that the SACO and NACO programs are very different
in
outreach and training.  We all need to have dreams and forward
thinking.  But let me reiterate that currently  BIBCO libraries are
offered a SACO Web Proposal form, that is underused, for the
submission of subject heading proposals to LCSH.  The form delivers
the proposed record to the LC ILS database with a minimum of
processing, eliminating the need for re-keying for LC staff.  The
online form has cut an average of two weeks off the approval time
for
SACO proposals. What could perhaps be added to the "Wish list" is
that
the SACO Web Proposal be opened to all SACO libraries that have
undergone SACO training.  As for eliminating  subject duplicates, I
strongly urge participants to review  the posted Tentative and
Approved Weekly Lists on a regular basis.  This would permit Coop
staff to expend their limited resources on : reviewing the headings,
contacting libraries concerning problematic headings, and working
with
CPSO  to find a "better" heading through research.

Ruta Penkiunas
Cooperative Cataloging Team Leader