Dear Colleagues,

I would like to invite you to participate in an upcoming study on the
attitudes of cataloging professionals toward the BIBCO core record.  This
project involves conducting telephone interviews with 20 front-line
original catalogers and 20 cataloging managers from BIBCO member libraries
and is intended to explore how both managers and working catalogers feel
about the core record.  The results of the survey will be used to assist
the PCC Policy Committee in planning and marketing for the BIBCO
program.  It is also anticipated that the results will be used as the basis
for an article to be submitted for publication.  Further information about
the study is available at
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/coretudeprop.html.

Your participation would involve about 30 minutes of your time to answer a
set of questions about the core record.  The interviews will take place
during the 3rd and 4th weeks of March (weeks of March 19 and March 26,
2001).  Interviews will be tape recorded and transcribed for
analysis.  Your name and institutional affiliation will be kept strictly
confidential, and you will not be identified by name or affiliation in any
reports produced.  The interviews will be conducted by Diane Cellentani, a
professional researcher based in Columbus, Ohio, with over 20 years of
experience in library-related research projects.  Ms. Cellentani is serving
as consultant on this study.

To ensure the project's success, broad participation will be
essential.  Please feel free to forward this message to your cataloging
staff and/or colleagues.  Because of the study's parameters, however, not
everyone who is interested in participating will be able to be
interviewed.  Potential participants will be asked to complete a brief
screening questionnaire before an interview is scheduled.  Upon receipt of
a message from you indicating interest, I will forward the questionnaire to
you.  It should only take a few moments to complete and return.  After I
have received your completed questionnaire, I will be in touch with you
about the next steps.

If you are interested in participating, or have further questions about the
study, please contact me.  My contact information appears below.

Thank you for your interest in this study.

David Banush

Coordinator of Technical Services
M.P. Catherwood Library
Cornell University