Dear Colleagues,

I would like to invite you to participate in an upcoming study on the attitudes of cataloging professionals toward the BIBCO core record.  This project involves conducting telephone interviews with 20 front-line original catalogers and 20 cataloging managers from BIBCO member libraries and is intended to explore how both managers and working catalogers feel about the core record.  The results of the survey will be used to assist the PCC Policy Committee in planning and marketing for the BIBCO program.  It is also anticipated that the results will be used as the basis for an article to be submitted for publication.  Further information about the study is available at
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/coretudeprop.html.

Your participation would involve about 30 minutes of your time to answer a set of questions about the core record.  The interviews will take place during the 3
rd and 4th weeks of March (weeks of March 19 and March 26, 2001).  Interviews will be tape recorded and transcribed for analysis.  Your name and institutional affiliation will be kept strictly confidential, and you will not be identified by name or affiliation in any reports produced.  The interviews will be conducted by Diane Cellentani, a professional researcher based in Columbus, Ohio, with over 20 years of experience in library-related research projects.  Ms. Cellentani is serving as consultant on this study.

To ensure the project's success, broad participation will be essential.  Please feel free to forward this message to your cataloging staff and/or colleagues.  Because of the study's parameters, however, not everyone who is interested in participating will be able to be interviewed.  Potential participants will be asked to complete a brief screening questionnaire before an interview is scheduled.  Upon receipt of a message from you indicating interest, I will forward the questionnaire to you.  It should only take a few moments to complete and return.  After I have received your completed questionnaire, I will be in touch with you about the next steps.

If you are interested in participating, or have further questions about the study, please contact me.  My contact information appears below.

Thank you for your interest in this study.

David Banush

Coordinator of Technical Services
M.P. Catherwood Library
Cornell University