Print

Print


At the BIBCO Operations Committee meeting last week, BIBCO Operations
Committee members
gave me some excellent feedback on the draft of the Participants' Manual. I
am posting a summary of
what I understood so that I may get additional comments from others who
were not there and corrections
from those who were. The draft manual currently resides on the Web at:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~chixson/bibco/outlinerev.html


Comments:

1.      Include a table in MARC21 field tag order listing where people can go
to get help for
        what to put in that field. For instance:

        1xx             MARC21, AACR2 (perhaps citing specific areas), authority files, NACO
manual, utility
                        input standards
        245-300 MARC21, AACR2, utility input standards
        4xx             MARC21, AACR2, authority files, NACO manual, utility input standards
        etc.

        (In the online version, there could be live links to some of this
documentation)

2.      General principles should precede examples. Include a statement that the
Core examples
        represent one institution's interpretation of Core.

3.      Suggestion was made to start examples with the Core rather than the
Full. There was some
        discussion about finding another term for Core but, for now, we'll proceed
with the existing
        terminology. There was no clear consensus from OpCo about whether the Core
should appear
        first or whether the Full record should appear first in the example pairs.

4.      Include Full standard. <<SCS Chair noted the request and will be asking
SCS to develop a statement
        about the Full standard.>>

5.      In places where there is specific mention made of LC Classification or
LCSH, include mention
        of other schemes. <<GPO folks offered to provide an example including
SuDocs classification. Help
        is needed specifically from BIBCO catalogers using other schemes to
provide more detail and
        examples and to cite documentation.>>

6.      In the section on BIBCO Documentation (A4.5.2) it was felt that we
needed to be more comprehensive
        and cite documentation for other classification and subject heading
schemes. <<I need help
        especially with MeSH, NLM, SuDocs, Sears, Dewey, etc. If you use one of
these other schemes
        recognized in MARC21, please help out by sending me citations and URls of
relevant documentation.>>

7.      Redundancy is ok and good. It's desirable to be comprehensive in general
lists and then also
        cite specific tools in the relevant sections.

8.      Reiterate principles regarding authority control: it is expected that
authority records will be
        in the national files in support of all headings before bib records are
contributed, with 2
        exceptions: 1) new SACO proposal and 2) 490 0 on a Core record.

9.      Reiterate principles of subject/language knowledge: it is expected that
BIBCO catalogers
        will not contribute records as BIBCO when they lack sufficient knowledge
of the subject
        or language to be able to do appropriate content analysis.

10.     Reiterate what it means to be independent in NACO: this is language
specific. It is expected
        that BIBCO catalogers will not contribute NACO records in languages they
do not know.

11.     RLIN vs. OCLC. Manual is still too OCLC-centric. <<SCT will need help
from RLIN catalogers about
        specifics of working within the RLIN database.>>

12.     I have been revising some of the sections today and drafting some other
sections. I hope to have
        revisions/additions posted on the Web tomorrow.

This is an iterative process. The SCT provides some content, we get
feedback and make revisions,
we get further feedback. Your help is needed. I received wonderfully
detailed written comments
from Judy Kuhagen of LC and welcome other comments in this form. If you
would care to annotate a
printed copy and fax me your comments on the written page, this would be
quite helpful. My fax
number is:  541-346-3485. IF YOU SEND A FAX, PLEASE MARK IT ATTENTION CAROL
HIXSON BECAUSE THAT'S
THE FAX NUMBER FOR MY ENTIRE LIBRARY.

I will be gone May 9-29. Please send me your comments throughout the month
of May and the SCT will tackle
more revisions at ALA and afterwards.

Carol Hixson
Chair, Standing Committee on Training (SCT)