ArialDear American Memory Fellows and Friends, This e-mail is a special invitation to teachers and librarians to be our guests at the final BANDL, Bay Area National Digital Library Project's Digital Curriculum Expo at ZEUM in San Francisco. This an unique opportunity for you to meet with a core group of teachers and school librarians who have documented how they have made use of high quality materials from Internet based digital libraries with students. Join us and experience first-hand the results of over three years of work and engage in professional dialogue with guest, Larry Cuban.
Monday, June 18, 2001 Bay Area National Digital Library Project California Heritage Project host a "Digital Curriculum Expo" and professional dialogue with Dr. Larry Cuban ZEUM San Francisco 9:00am - 4:00pm
The Bay Area National Digital Library Project is a research and development project sponsored by the Bay Area School Reform Collaborative (BASRC) and funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. Several years ago, BASRC convened a regional task group to understand how schools could learn to make better use of technology to support their reform work. The Task Force began by noting the large gap between high expectations for what technology might contribute and the actual application in educational settings. BANDL Schools have worked with this challenge for three years and would like to share their work in progress with the region. In collaboration with the California Heritage Project from the University of California at Berkeley, we will host our collaborative event at ZEUM Children's Technology and Art Center in San Francisco. For those of you planning on attending the ALA Conference at the Moscone Center, our event is at the same time. We are a short walk across the sky bridge. Admission is by invitation, please RSVP with this e-mail to kferenz@ sfsu.edu or to [log in to unmask] before June 10th. Space is limited. For additional information visit: http://basrc.org/bandl/ Below is our detailed agenda. Regards, Kathleen Ferenz (97' Fellow with Leni Donlan)
Agenda 9:00am - 10:00am ZEUM Main Theater Welcome and Overview Formal presentation of project research by Kathleen Ferenz BANDL Project Director Lynn Jones California Heritage Project Director Insights from research on Curriculum, Technology and Teacher Collaboration Dr. Larry Cuban Stanford University 10:00am - 11:00am ZEUM Exhibit Gallery Gallery Walk Showcase of Best Practices Participants walk the exhibit gallery and meet presenters, share curriculum maps, student work, and discuss results of collaboration with teachers and librarians. Jazz students from Pinole Valley High will provide music. 11:00am-11:45am ZEUM Exhibit Gallery Professional Dialogue with Larry Cuban Sherrin Bennett from Interactive Learning will facilitate a professional dialogue with Larry Cuban and create a large scale wall graphic of our conversation. 11:45am-12:30pm Lunch is provided 12:30pm-1:15pm ZEUM Exhibit Gallery Breakout sessions for: Small Group Inquiries with Teams 5-7 per group Select a presentation from the morning Gallery Walk. Learn and discuss in small groups with teams and learn how they collaborated and see what students accomplished. View and discuss student work, curriculum maps, and web resources.Some teams will have students to this event. 2:00pm-2:45pm Content Presentations #1 Location: Learning Studio Digital Pathfinders by BANDLLnet Librarians & Rose Falenga from the Exploratorium #2 Location: Clamation Studio Curriculum Development and Coaching Tools by Interactive Learning Associates Sherrin Bennett and Carolyn Janson #3 Location: ZEUM Theater American Memory Collection California Heritage Collection by Kathleen Ferenz and Lynn Jones 3:00pm-4:00pm ZEUM Exhibit Gallery Reception
************** BANDL Project Director Bay Area National Digital Library Project 181 Fremont Street San Francisco, CA 94105 http://basrc.org/bandl/ [log in to unmask] Tel. 415-348-5524 FAX 415-348-1340 Kathleen Ferenz [log in to unmask] Lecturer, Instructional Technologies http://online.sfsu.edu/~kferenz/