Hello John,
        This is fairly easy to do. Make use of the <note> attribure `actuate'. You have two choices there:
`auto' or `user'. The intention is that if you tag something
        <note actuate="auto">...........</note>
it will be displayed whenever the page is visited. On the other hand, when you tag
        <note actuate="user">......</note>
the user must indicate a desire to view this, usually by clicking a link.

        So the tagging is easy. It is up to you how you want to transform the xml to html. You can devise
links that point to another place in the same page, or create a new pop-up page using a small chunk of
javascript. This is what we did in one of our medieval MM catalogues:

http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/medieval/buchanan/buchanan.html

Hope this helped.

---LwM---

> Hello
>
> We are intending to convert to EAD several traditional, printed
> catalogues of archives and manuscripts. These contain numerous
> scholarly footnotes. Presumably these should be encoded as <note>.
> But to avoid cluttering up the text of the online finding aids with
> footnotes, we would like to create links from the footnote placers,
> so that the footnote text only appears in the browser when the user
> clicks on the placer. Could anyone please advise how this might be
> achieved?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation.
>
> John Hodgson
> Head of Archives
>

> John R. Hodgson,
> Head of Archives,
> John Rylands University Library of Manchester,
> 150 Deansgate,
> Manchester,
> M3 3EH
> tel: +44 (0)161-834-5343