I encountered this problem a few months ago and there was a very helpful
discussion of it on the list.  The short of it is that the EAD Cookbook was
written for XMetaL 1.2 which used the application XT (hence the reference to
("XT.Application") in your error message) as the XSLT processor that
generates the html for the page preview.  The versions 2.0 and above of
XMetaL no longer use XT but rather MSXML, the less stable Microsoft
equivalent.  A search of the list archives (once they are up and running
again) of the terms "page preview error" should probably yeild the pertinent
posts.

Options include continuing to use version 1.2, rewriting the macro,
reinstalling XMetaL and instructing it to continue to use XT, or waiting for
a revision of the Cookbook that will address this.

I have yet to settle on a solution myself, but I will be forced to do so
soon.  Let me know how you address the problem.

Mike
Michael Rush - Manuscript Processor
Massachusetts Historical Society
[log in to unmask] - (617)646-0553