>But we've changed the assumptions.  At the meeting, the firm assumption
>was
>that results would be static in the case where a result set name is
>supplied.

I can't see how that has changed.

>> However at this point unknown to us someone adds a new record .....
>
>What's the mechanism you envision to add a record? It doesn't fit the
>model
>as we've discussed so far.  Would you only be able to add a record that
>conforms to the original query?

Sorry, I don't understand you. The someone who adds a new record would be
someone who maintains the database, not an end user searching the database.
For example in the LC, I presume you have cataloguers adding new
bibliographic records? I also suspect that they use the facilities in
Endeavour to do this which do not use Z39.50. In the same way many people
running a database would use the normal database facilities for updating and
maintaining their database, but would add ZNG to offer searching
capabilities only.

The case I was trying to describe is one where the database is being updated
rather than a completely static entitity, hence we need result set names to
ensure uniformity (static result sets) between searches where repeating the
query may return a different result set due to changes in the underlying
data.

Matthew