Actually, I would argue that EAD is *not* about presentation and not about
the WEB. HTML is about the web and presentation. In fact, constraining EAD
to that minimalist position is precisely what I was arguing against.

EAD is about capturing
structure and semantics, potentially entirely divorced from presentation,
in a human and machine readable format called SGML/XML. ISAD(G) is about
description regardless of machine-readable format. You can write a
ISAD(G) conformant document in Word, in HTML in EAD, with a typewriter,
with a dirty fingernail on a scrap of paper.

It is precisely one of my arguments that encoding the structure and
semantics says  nothing inherent about  presentation. However, it is also
true that encoding the document in EAD does not require following any
descriptive standard. And that is where we have a serious problem.
One can (and at Pitt we actually do something like this) encode the a
finding aid using ISAD(G) as the descriptive standard.

Encoding in EAD in no way prescribes its presentation. In fact, unlike
the Word document or the scrap of paper with a dirty fingernail, it, along
with other XML technologies allows for numerous presentations and
manipulations of the same document. But building tools to do that is
hampered because of the  lack of a descriptive standard embedded in the
encoded information.

So no, EAD is not a content standard but neither is it a presentation
tool. It is merely a way to capture the information in a structured way
that is then easily machine processable and also somewhat human readable.

Liz Shaw