Michael,

As you know I'm someone who has modified the Cookbook stylesheets pretty
extensively.  Like Chatham, I would say XSLT is not easy, but on
the other hand I do not think you need a lot of knowledge of XSLT per se
to modify the Cookbook stylesheets.  You do need a little (but not much)
of a programming background.  In other words, you need to know how if. .
then, foreach, etc. work.  The most difficult aspect to understand is that
XSLT is not a procedure-driven language, but that it relies on pattern
matching of rules, and that one therefore does not "call" subroutines
in the usual sense.  It took me a while to grasp that.

I started modifying the stylesheets after studying the overall structure
of the stylesheet and some of the logic in the templates you wrote.  When
I got stuck and needed to do more, I got of copy of Michael Kay's XSLT
programmer's reference.

One of the things that makes modifying them fairly difficult is the amount
of redundancy.  For example, the code that formats the
<unittitle> and <unitdate> in the component levels repeats nearly a
hundred times.  So if some of this could be pulled into a single template,
it would make the stylesheet a lot easier to modify.  Right now, one has to
do find and replace operations that I have only been able to do in Note
Tab, since other editors choke on large amounts of text.

My feeling is that XSLT training could best be handled through a one day
SAA workshop, based around modifying the Cookbook stylesheets.  One could
give enough training so that even those with no programming know could modify
them.  And anyone with the desire to do more would leave with the
tools to be able to play around and eventually write their own.

Chris Prom
Assistant University Archivist
University of Illinois Archives
Room 19 Library (MC-522)