Just my own two cents worth, but it might make more sense to code this sort
of things in the stylesheet for a couple of reasons: if you decide at some
point in the future to change the appearance of your finding aids, you need
make only one change to have the new formatting appear across all your
finding aids.  One could also argue that it's more parsimonious to have the
coding appear in one spot versus (in the case of the APS), 1,500 spots, but
that's something I can leave up to others, and I suppose there's the issue
of murking your xml "structural" encoding with style information, but
aesthetic sensibilities aside, if you have a large number of files, you will
have greater flexibility in the future if you keep as much of the style
information segregated out in the stylesheets as possible.

At APS, we're actually using a combination of *three* stylesheets, two in
xsl, one in css.  The xsl stylesheets conform to the working draft recs for
xml recognized by IE 5 (so that the native files can be viewed directly
using that browser) and to the specs for xml version 1.0 (for transform to
html using Saxon).  The css stylesheet is used simply to control basic
presentational parameters (color scheme, font size, and the like) and is
referenced by both xsl stylesheets.  You can see the results at
http://www.amphilsoc.org/library/eadfiles.htm.  I hope soon to begin
offering transform to html on the fly, but am looking for a no-cost solution
to do so.  Any suggestions appreciated...

--Rob Cox
Rob Cox
American Philosophical Society
105 South Fifth Street