Michael,

Just to expand on what Stephen said:

I have installed MSXML 3.0, and I _think_ I know what they mean.  In
version 3, the installation gave the option of installing the .dll file
that runs the xml processor as a replacement for the 2.0 version of the
files, or side be side with version 2.0.  They recommened side by side,
which I chose.

When they speak of using 4.0 in the traditional way, I they mean by
specifically calling the processor with a API (like Stephen does with
his ASP script) or their command line utility.  You would want to do
that for instance if you invoke the xsl processor (which I have done
on my local machine from the command line, but have not yet tried on the
server).  Version 4 supports the xsl standard almost fully, so there
are advantages to using it for this purpose.

BTW, it was my understanding the MSXSL is actually faster than XT,
at least in the 3.0 version, though not much.  See:

http://www.tfi-technology.com/xml/xslbench.html

Chris

Chris Prom
Assistant University Archivist