I discovered that I forgot to sign my message to Daniel and Michael.  I will try not to forget to sign this message.

I like to add something I forgot to say.  I just read Daniel's message he posted just now.  I do realize that the history of the development of the EAD DTD preceded much of the availability of ISAD(G), ISAAR(CPF) and, I believe, also the second edition of APPM.  (I am not sure about the latter.)  So, as Daniel said, there is still much work to do.  The development of EAD is very significant for our archival community and its further development and in particular its revision and updating should continue.

I read somewhere that one of the aims of the EAD Working Group (or is it now a permanent SAA committee) is to have the EAD DTD become more 'internationalized so that it will be accepted elsewhere than in North America. It is already happening, but with much tweaking to accommodate local practices and terminology which can only be done through locally developed style sheets.  I do not know of any better way to 'internationalize' the EAD DTD than to ensure that EAD elements are linked to elements of description in the now well accepted international standards ISAD(G) and ISAAR(CPF) where such elements of description and their terminology exist in EAD. ISAD(G) and ISAAR(CPF) do not have all the elements in EAD, but where they exist they should be identical in terminology and definition.  This would help greatly in acceptance and understanding in the international community of the EAD DTD.

Hugo Stibbe
OTTAWA, Ontario
Canada
Telephone: +613 746-0008
E-mail: [log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]