From: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 9:11 AM
Subject: Current Afghanistan and Asia maps available

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>
> Poster:       "Elizabeth L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Current Afghanistan and Asia maps available
-----

> Just thought I'd pass the word along that the current "Places in the News"
map is a Public Domain 2000 map of Afghanistan.  Use this URL:
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/plnews.html>.

> Later this map will be added to the list here:

<http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/gmd:@band(@field(COLLID+newsmap
))>, which features previous "Places in the News" maps, including a 1997 map
(also copyright free) of Asia

<http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g7400+c
t000437))>, which places Afghanistan in geographical context with its
neighbors.

> You may use these maps via your web browser and American Memory using the
tools presented on the Web page or you may download the entire map and use
the free MrSID viewer <http://raptor.lizardtech.com/products/mrsid/> to
manipulate it on your local computer.  There is a time investment to
download the maps (like video).

> If you plan to use any particular American Memory map much at all, we
recommend you take the time to download the map and the tool (which only
needs downloading once).  Follow the link to "MrSID Viewer" and select your
operating system (Win95/NT-Macintosh-Unix) and follow the subsequent
instructions.  The Wind95/NT version also works on Win98 (and probably on ME
and 2000).   If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you also consider
the "MrSID Photo Photoshop Viewer."  There's also a browser plug-in.