Responding to the problem posed by Marsha--and thinking that the thread may
be interesting the list as a whole--I'll say that I remain convinced that
the best descriptive solution for dealing with multiple, separately
organized and housed, accessions is to fold them together into the logical
group/subgroup/series structure of the component-level description.  I think
it just makes a much more understandable presentation for the end user, who
is able to then grasp the intellectual structure that defines the
collection.  If it is necessary or advisable for the repository to maintain
administrative control of the materials on an accession basis, the component
descriptions can each bear their accession identifier, and other
administrative information (like accession-specific access provisions) can
be presented in a <scopecontent> at that level.  Better yet, with the
release of EAD 2002, those <admininfo> elements should each be available at
all the component levels, as well.

While this approach may break down in very complicated situations where many
separate accessions exist that all interfile intellectually, I still think
that it's the right thing to shoot for.

Dennis Meissner, Archival Processing Manager
Minnesota Historical Society <www.mnhs.org>
Voice:  651-296-2496  |  Fax:  651-296-9961
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]