Hi Reagan,

The Mellon Fedora project is looking at both issues.  The Fedora
architecture assumes that executable code modules will change or be
replaced over time.  Executables will probably need to be upgraded or
migrated more frequently than content.  The Fedora object model makes a
clean distinction between the content and its encoding format, and the
executables that read content (wrapped in Disseminators).  The design of
the architecture is meant to enable the switching in and out of
executables as needed.

This leads to your second question.  In the Cornell Fedora research we
have the notion of a "structoid" which essentially defines a sort of
encoding format characterized mainly by roles (e.g. "page") matched with
formats ("image/gif"), plus some other info.  In Fedora, a structoid has
a unique identifier and thus can be registered as a known
structural/encoding pattern.  In the research version of Fedora, you can
do a search of Disseminators that use a particular structoid pattern. We
are currently still thinking about how this plays out in Mellon and
METS.  Maybe something having to do with METS profiles.  Maybe something
with typing of structMaps.  In any event, when we identify an encoding
format that's supported by a Disseminator, we need to speak both of
structure (roles that different files play) and formats of different
files.

I'll be working with Jerry McDonough this week to firm up details on how
we will specify the basic Disseminator notion in the METS schema.  We'll
continue to look at the finer issues in the Mellon project.

- Sandy