From:  "Fox, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  12/4/01 11:28AM
Subject:  Re: Cookbook stylesheet question

The <xsl:strip-space> element deletes whitespace between elements that may
have been added during the creation of the XML file as well as whitespace
that exists within elements that do not contain any text.   It does not
remove whitespace within elements that also contain text as XML considers
such whitespace to be significant.

It simply makes the file more compact.

It should not affect any text or entity references such as you indicate.
It may be that the XSLT processor you are using behaves in a non-standard
way.     In any event, there would no harm to omitting it from the
stylesheet.

Have you tried using the decimal form of these entities, &#147; and &#148;
instead of the named version?

Michael

Michael J. Fox
Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN 55102-1906
651-296-2150  (phone)