I just spent about 2 hours in Notetab painstakingly doing find and replace commands for all the special characters in a finding aid full of foreign names. The first go through I came back to the file to see that they'd all disappeared and I assumed I'd forgotten to save the file or something. When they disappeared a second time, I realized  that XMetal, which I often use to check for and correct errors, is stripping out all the special characters when I reload the file in Notetab. I checked the list archives and noticed that John Rees sent a message about this in the summer. John, did you get any feedback about it or does anybody know why this happens or have a cunning plan to circumvent the problem (apart from not using XMetal obviously)
 
Thanks,
 
Stephanie
 
Stephanie Ashley
Project Archivist
Archives of American Art
Smithsonian Institution
202-275-1672
[log in to unmask]