Hmm, guess I had a different problem, since my characters were definitely gone, as docs. would not parse. It's a curious world.

john

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/01 04:18PM >>>
Chris,

Thanks for your response, and you're right: the characters do display correctly in the browser even though they don't show up in the NoteTab file once it's been saved in XMetal.  I feel foolish for not noticing this before but that's nothing new!  I just assumed that since the characters had "disappeared" they'd been stripped out.

Thanks to everyone who responded,

Stephanie

Stephanie Ashley
Project Archivist
Archives of American Art
Smithsonian Institution
202-275-1672

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/01 03:57PM >>>
Notetab only accepts ascii characters in its default mode--you can only
view characters using their character encoding, so whatever format XMetal
saved it in should be accepted by notetab--but you do not see the character,
only the coding for the character, whether it is a Unicode or Latin-1 or
whatever character encoding

However, NoteTab has a function to show ANSI characters.  I'm a bit
out of my depth with character encoding issues, but perhaps this is the
source of the problem.

Chris Prom
Assistant University Archivist
University of Illinois Archives