Hmm, guess I had a different problem, since my characters were definitely gone, as docs. would not parse. It's a curious world.


>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/01 04:18PM >>>

Thanks for your response, and you're right: the characters do display correctly in the browser even though they don't show up in the NoteTab file once it's been saved in XMetal.  I feel foolish for not noticing this before but that's nothing new!  I just assumed that since the characters had "disappeared" they'd been stripped out.

Thanks to everyone who responded,


Stephanie Ashley
Project Archivist
Archives of American Art
Smithsonian Institution
[log in to unmask] 

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/19/01 03:57PM >>>
Notetab only accepts ascii characters in its default mode--you can only
view characters using their character encoding, so whatever format XMetal
saved it in should be accepted by notetab--but you do not see the character,
only the coding for the character, whether it is a Unicode or Latin-1 or
whatever character encoding

However, NoteTab has a function to show ANSI characters.  I'm a bit
out of my depth with character encoding issues, but perhaps this is the
source of the problem.

Chris Prom
Assistant University Archivist
University of Illinois Archives
Room 19 Library (MC-522)
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801

e-mail: [log in to unmask] 
phone:  217 333 0798
fax:    217 333 2868

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Fox, Michael wrote:

> I suspect that is a character set incompatibility between the way Notetab
> saved your file and what XMetaL assumed was the input version.   One might
> be Unicode and the other US ASCII or Latin-1 and XMetaL didn't round-trip
> the file.   This is just a guess as I am certainly no expert on this
> business.    I'm not sure if one could "blame"either application but it does
> not sound like the Soft Quad help staff were to helpful.     Can you change
> the setting in NoteTab that specifies the character set used.
> Michael J. Fox
> Assistant Director for Library and Archives
> Minnesota Historical Society
> 345 Kellogg Blvd West
> St. Paul, MN 55102-1906
> 651-296-2150  (phone)
> 651-296-9961  (fax)
> [log in to unmask] 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stephanie Ashley [mailto:[log in to unmask]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 10:14 AM
> To: [log in to unmask] 
> Subject: characters stripped by XMetal
> I just spent about 2 hours in Notetab painstakingly doing find and replace
> commands for all the special characters in a finding aid full of foreign
> names. The first go through I came back to the file to see that they'd all
> disappeared and I assumed I'd forgotten to save the file or something. When
> they disappeared a second time, I realized  that XMetal, which I often use
> to check for and correct errors, is stripping out all the special characters
> when I reload the file in Notetab. I checked the list archives and noticed
> that John Rees sent a message about this in the summer. John, did you get
> any feedback about it or does anybody know why this happens or have a
> cunning plan to circumvent the problem (apart from not using XMetal
> obviously)
> Thanks,
> Stephanie
> Stephanie Ashley
> Project Archivist
> Archives of American Art
> Smithsonian Institution
> 202-275-1672
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>