At 10:45 AM 12/6/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Jerome McDonough schrieb:
>
> > While METS doesn't *insist* that you encode structure
> > within the structural map down to the page level of an
> > item, equally it doesn't forbid it.
>
>I see - well, but somehow this is just another kind of work-around. In
>the area of metadata storage METS is following a real good concept in
>separating Descriptive from Administrative Metadata.
>I think, METS should follow the same principles regarding the structure
>of a work.
>A printed work has always two separate strucutres: A logical structure
>(book, chapters, articles) and a physical structure (pages or even
>page-areas , columns etc...). You have two different kind of structures
>(as you also have two different kinds of metadata) - therefore it would
>be a much buetter solution to store them separatly.

I should have noted in my previous message that you can also have multiple
structural maps within a METS object, and that the 'TYPE' attribute on the
structmap element can be used to distinguish between a physical structMap
and a logical one.  In fact, in the original MOA2 DTD, the TYPE attribute on
structMap used a controlled vocabulary of 'logical' and 'physical'.  So,
METS already accommodates the notion of separate logical/physical structMaps
within one METS document.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer earlier; I blame
it on the cold eating my frontal lobes....

Jerome McDonough
Digital Library Development Team Leader
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-2425