Stephanie,
 I'd endorse use of "abstract" in this case. You're correct to avoid the
use of note as too general. I think when to use abstract
vs. scopecontent at the component level (below series level) is a gray
area, but my rule of thumb is to use abstract for short phrase summaries
and scopecontent for fuller, paragraph-type content. Since
<scopecontent> must contain <p>, that makes the decision easier as well.
Cheers,
Mary

On
Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Stephanie Ashley wrote:

> I'd like to get confirmation of how other people are dealing with  component notes in their EAD encoding. I'm referring to short descriptions that come after a folder title, for example, that you feel are necessary to provide details about the folder contents,  such as
>
> Correspondence, 1945-1967 (includes letters from Henry Miller)
> Correspondence, 1968-1980 (includes signed photographs of the artist)

> If we go with <scopecontent>, we have some more work to do with our style sheets because it's unable to differentiate between the lower level <scopecontent> notes and the higher level ones, so I'd like to get some confirmation that this is the way to go before we put too much time into tweaking them. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephanie
>
> Stephanie Ashley
> Project Archivist
> Archives of American Art
> Smithsonian Institution
> 202-275-1672

Mary Lacy
Manuscript Division, Library of Congress
(202)707-8799 fax (202)707-6336