As a further note on <note> (and speaking as a sometime abuser of tags)
I have had to use <note> for many things in the course of retrospective
conversion, but the one rule I did apply was never to use it without an
attribute (encodinganalog or altrender as you wish) to indicate what it
was being used for (e.g. footnote, subtitle, MARC code, ISAD(G) code
etc. etc.). Each new infringement or twist of the poor <note> element at
least got a new attribute. This means when/if I clean it up, it is easy
to find all instances of <note> used for a specific purpose, and they
can be replaced with a better element. If you don't do this, <note>
becomes a permanent rather than a transitional mess.
Richard
--
# Richard Higgins
# Durham University Library