Hi Stephanie,

Most of our finding aids have the "notes" you describe, primarily at the
item level.  At Rare Book School I had starting encoding this information as
a <note> but was steered toward <abstract>.  I forget the exact explanation
but it followed your reasoning that <note> was very general.  The tag
library definition for <abstract> states that it could be used for "...
abridged statements about the scope, content, arrangement, or other
descriptive details. . ." and it works well for our finding aids.  I think
the key for me between using <abstract> and <scopecontent> is that the tag
library definition for <scopecontent> states "a prose statement".  The
"stuff" in our item level description isn't prose and isn't the same kind of
info that we include in the series scope and content. . .hence...<abstract>.
Let me know if you would like an example!

Hope all is well with you!
Gina

Gina L. B. Minks
Special Collections Librarian