Hi, Guenter, et al:
Don't know if you can hear the standing ovation from down here on the Farm
about the idea of sharing best practice guidelines as they are being
developed by METS implementers.   We here at Stanford are planning to use
METS in an OAIS implementation as well, certainly for the SIPs & DIPs, and
probably also for the AIPs.   We would certainly be willing to share our own
practices as we make them up & find out what works, and would be quite eager
to learn from others as well.  Such guidelines would go a long way to
providing some documentation for the _operational_ aspects of applying METS
which could distribute that workload, and provide many different
perspectives on how METS could be used.  (NOT implying anything about the
existing documentation associated with the schema, Jerry, I'm in awe!)
Such Best Practice Guidelines would be helpful not only for the
implementors, but also for the digital creators among our colleagues who are
worried about how & where the metadata that is or has been created for their
collections will be used & seen by searchers of the digital repository.  For
many people, METS represents a paradigm shift that is different,  exciting,
puzzling, I've found (and certainly it is for me as well as I'm learning how
to apply it).

So, how to do this?  We certainly have the mechanisms for sharing
information by virtue of our LC sponsored web site.  Perhaps in addition to
certain groups working on extension schema, others among us might work on
how to document Best Practice Guidelines?  I'd be happy to volunteer to work
with Guenter and/or others on this if the METS community thought this might
be useful.
Nancy Hoebelheinrich
Metadata Unit Coordinator, Cat Dept
3rd Floor, Meyer Libr