I wanted to agree that role is all that's needed for names to
distinguish the subject, author, etc. relationship to the content being
described. I also think that perhaps the name does not need to be
"subfielded" in the MARC sense, if it can be clear when the name is
based on a controlled form in an authority file (namespace?) - we could
then rely on authority control to help with indexing and displays, and
other names not under control would be assumed to be keyword accessible
(hopefully eventually systems would tie in to a virtual international
authority file to get the variant and uncontrolled forms to collocate
with the controlled forms for better precision of searching). - Barbara
Tillett

<snip from Ardie Bausenbach's email below>
>>> [log in to unmask] 03/27/02 03:50PM >>>
1.  Will most novice users be able to distinguish between "name" as
creator (1XX or 7XX) and name as "subject" (6XX)?  Perhaps the name
element should be more explicitly identified (perhaps "creator")?

2.  For corporate names, should there be an "order" attribute for
"component", or will reading components left-to-right be sufficient?

3.  Your notes for "name" indicate that "flat names" are presumed to
be
"structured". Can I assume this means, for example, that you expect
personal names to be entered in inverted order?  I am not sure you can
count on users entering names in the manner we are used to seeing in
the
controlled entries of bibliographic records.  However, there needs to
be
some mechanism (perhaps a "filingName" element) to enable systems to
create usable lists of names for browsing and collocation.

<snip>

Ardie Bausenbach
Automation Planning and Liaison Office
Library Service
Library of Congress

Dr. Barbara B. Tillett, Ph.D.
Chief, Cataloging Policy and Support Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20540-4305
U.S.A.

**Please do not send mail to LC via the regular post.
All US Postal Service mail to the Library now
is irradiated and takes several weeks to process.
Please let me know if you want my home
address.
tel.: + (202) 707-4714
fax: + (202) 707-6629